Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Standing In Solidarity Against Islamophobia

Mary Ann West - Posted: August 30, 2010 12:19 PM
 
"I am standing up for American values of tolerance and justice. In the America I grew up in, when someone is being picked on, we stand with them," said Rev. Kate Heichler, president of the Interfaith Council of Southwest CT and one of the organizers of the prayer vigil. "And I'm standing here as a Christian, as a follower of Jesus Christ as Lord. I know there are different ways of understanding who Jesus was represented here, but in my tradition he is Lord. And Jesus commanded his followers to love their neighbors. But Jesus didn't stop there - he went further. He said his followers were to love their enemies. I don't have any enemies here tonight; I don't think any of us do. I think a very, very small number of American Muslims might be considered our enemies. But even if there were, Jesus' command is to love them."

No comments:

Post a Comment